PROTONIX for ORAL SUSP Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pantoprazole (as sodium) 40mg; per pkt; e-c del-rel granules.
Indications for PROTONIX for ORAL SUSP:
Short-term treatment (up to 8 weeks) and maintenance of healing of erosive esophagitis (EE). Long-term treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome).
Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew granules. Susp: Take 30 mins before a meal. Mix contents of packet in 5mL of apple juice or applesauce (do not mix in water, other liquids or foods); then swallow. May give via NG or gastrostomy tube (see full labeling). Treatment of EE: 40mg once daily for ≤8 weeks; if not healed, may repeat for 8 more weeks. Maintenance of EE healing: 40mg once daily. Hypersecretory conditions: initially 40mg twice daily; max 240mg/day.
Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew granules. Susp: Take 30 mins before a meal. Mix contents of packet in 5mL of apple juice or applesauce (do not mix in water, other liquids or foods); then swallow. May give via NG or gastrostomy tube (see full labeling). <5yrs: not recommended. Treatment of EE: Give once daily for up to 8 weeks. ≥5yrs: (≥15kg to <40kg): 20mg; (≥40kg): 40mg.
Concomitant rilpivirine-containing products.
Symptomatic response does not preclude gastric malignancy. Discontinue if acute interstitial nephritis, cutaneous/systemic lupus erythematosus occurs. Long-term therapy (eg, >3yrs) may lead to malabsorption or deficiency of Vit.B12. Increased risk of osteoporosis-related fractures (hip, wrist or spine) with long-term and multiple daily dose PPI therapy. Monitor magnesium levels with long-term therapy. Use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. Reevaluate periodically. IV: consider zinc supplementation in those prone to zinc deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May antagonize atazanavir, nelfinavir (avoid). May potentiate saquinavir, methotrexate (at high doses, consider temporary withdrawal of the PPI); monitor. May alter absorption of gastric pH-dependent drugs (eg, iron salts, erlotinib, dasatinib, nilotinib, mycophenolate mofetil, ketoconazole, itraconazole). Caution with digoxin or drugs that may cause hypomagnesemia (eg, diuretics); monitor. Monitor warfarin. May cause false (+) results in diagnostic investigations for neuroendocrine tumors; discontinue pantoprazole 14 days prior to CgA level assessment. May cause false (+) urine THC test. IV: caution with concomitant other EDTA-containing products.
Proton pump inhibitor.
Headache, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, flatulence, dizziness, arthralgia; possible C. difficile-associated diarrhea, inj site reactions (IV); rare: hypomagnesemia (w. prolonged PPI therapy). Also children: URI, fever, rash.
Hepatic (CYP2C19, 3A4). 98% protein bound.
Renal (primarily), fecal.
Tabs, IV (YES); oral soln (NO)
Tabs—90; Susp—30 pkts/carton; Vials (40mg)—1, 10, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders