PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil 500mcg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC:
Palliative therapy to maintain ductus arteriosus patency until corrective or palliative surgery can be performed in neonates with congenital heart defects and who depend on patent ductus for survival.
Use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. Give by continuous IV infusion into large vein (preferred) or through an umbilical artery catheter placed at the ductal opening. Initially 0.05–0.1mcg/kg/min. Reduce dose from 0.1 to 0.05 to 0.025 to 0.01mcg/kg/min after therapeutic response is achieved to provide lowest dose that maintains response. If inadequate response to 0.05mcg/kg/min; may increase up to 0.4mcg/kg/min.
Apnea in neonates with congenital heart defects; use where ventilatory assistance is immediately available.
Respiratory distress syndrome: not recommended. Bleeding disorders. Prolonged therapy (>120hrs): monitor for antral hyperplasia and gastric outlet obstruction. Monitor respiratory status, arterial pressure, blood oxygenation, BP, blood pH; decrease infusion rate if arterial pressure falls significantly. Neonates <2kg at birth.
Caution with anticoagulants.
Apnea, fever, flushing, bradycardia, hypotension, tachycardia, seizures, diarrhea, sepsis, cortical proliferation of the long bones (long-term infusion).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses