PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil 500mcg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC:
Palliative therapy to maintain ductus arteriosus patency until corrective or palliative surgery can be performed in neonates with congenital heart defects and who depend on patent ductus for survival.
Give by continuous IV infusion into large vein (preferred) or through an umbilical artery catheter placed at the ductal opening. Initially 0.05–0.1mcg/kg/min. Reduce dose from 0.1 to 0.05 to 0.025 to 0.01mcg/kg/min after therapeutic response is achieved to provide lowest dose that maintains response. If inadequate response to 0.05mcg/kg/min; may increase up to 0.4mcg/kg/min.
Respiratory distress syndrome: not recommended. Bleeding disorders. Prolonged therapy (>120hrs): monitor for antral hyperplasia and gastric outlet obstruction. Monitor respiratory status, arterial pressure, blood oxygenation, BP, blood pH; decrease infusion rate if arterial pressure falls significantly. Neonates <2kg at birth.
Caution with anticoagulants.
Apnea, fever, flushing, bradycardia, hypotension, tachycardia, seizures, diarrhea, sepsis, cortical proliferation of the long bones (long-term infusion).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder