PROSTIN E2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 20mg; per vaginal suppository.
Indications for PROSTIN E2:
For the termination of pregnancy from the 12th through the 20th gestational weeks. For the evacuation of the uterine contents in the management of missed abortion or intrauterine fetal death up to 28 weeks of gestational age. Management of nonmetastatic gestational trophoblastic disease (benign hydatidiform mole).
Insert one supp high into vagina. Remain in supine position for 10mins following insertion. May insert subsequent supp at 3–5hr intervals until abortion occurs. Continuous administration for more than 2 days is not recommended.
Acute pelvic inflammatory disease. Active cardiac, pulmonary, renal or hepatic disease.
Not indicated if fetus in utero has reached the stage of viability. Not for use in cervical ripening or other indication in patients with term pregnancy. Asthma. Hypo-or hypertension. Anemia. Jaundice. Diabetes. Epilepsy. History of cardiac, renal, or hepatic disease. Cervicitis. Infected endocervical lesions. Acute vaginitis. Compromised (scarred) uteri. Remove supp if hypersensitivity reaction is suspected. Pregnancy.
Concomitant other oxytocic agents: not recommended.
Vomiting, transient pyrexia (see full labeling re: PGEs induced pyrexia vs. endometritis pyrexia), diarrhea, nausea, headache, chills, transient decrease in BP; MI in patients with history of CVD, hypersensitivity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders