Generic Name and Formulations:
Measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella viruses live, attenuated; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains neomycin (trace), human albumin; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PROQUAD:
Measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella immunization; may be used if a 2nd dose of measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella vaccine is needed.
Give SC in deltoid area or upper anterolateral thigh. <12 months or ≥13yrs: not recommended. 12 months–12yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL. If a 2nd dose is needed, give at 4–6yrs.
Egg, gelatin, or neomycin hypersensitivity. Blood dyscrasias. Leukemia, lymphoma, or other bone marrow or lymphatic malignancy. Primary or acquired immunodeficiency. Family history of congenital or hereditary immunodeficiency. Immunosuppressant therapy. Active untreated tuberculosis. Fever >101.3°F. Pregnancy (Cat.X); avoid pregnancy for 3 months after vaccination.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. History of febrile convulsions or cerebral injury. Thrombocytopenia. Avoid contact with high-risk individuals susceptible to varicella for 6 weeks after vaccination. Post-exposure prophylaxis for measles, mumps, rubella, or varicella. HIV-infected children. Contains albumin; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants (see Contraindications). Avoid salicylates for 6 weeks after vaccination. Defer vaccination for at least 3 months after blood or plasma transfusions or immune globulins. Avoid immune globulin administration for 1 month after vaccination. Separate dosing of measles-containing vaccine by 1 month. If 2nd dose of varicella-containing vaccine needed, separate by 3 months. Concomitant other vaccines: see full labeling. May interfere with tuberculin skin test.
Inj site reactions, fever, irritability, rash; others.
Report adverse events to VAERS by calling (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—10 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder