Propranolol HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl 1mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propranolol HCl Injection:
Supraventricular arrhythmias (see literature). Ventricular tachycardias (not first-line). Tachyarrhythmias of digitalis intoxication. Resistant tachyarrythmias due to excessive catecholamine action during anesthesia.
Usual dose: 1–3mg IV at a rate of 1mg/min. If necessary, a second dose may be given after 2 minutes. Thereafter, additional drug should not be given in less than 4 hours. Transfer to oral therapy as soon as possible.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock.
CHF. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Bronchospastic disease, COPD. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, haloperidol, propafenone, quinidine, disopyramide, amiodarone. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs (eg, reserpine). Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Caution with drugs that slow A-V nodal conduction (eg, calcium channel blockers, digitalis, lidocaine). Potentiates theophylline, antipyrine, lidocaine. Antihypertensive effects of clonidine may be antagonized. Concomitant methoxyflurane, trichloroethylene may depress myocardial contractility. Concomitant thyroxine may result in lower T3 concentration. May block epinephrine. May interfere with glaucoma screening tests. Monitor prothrombin time with warfarin.
Bradycardia, CHF, intensification of AV block, hypotension, CNS effects, GI upset, pharyngitis, rash, bronchospasm, blood dyscrasias; rare: SLE.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children