Propranolol HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl 1mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propranolol HCl Injection:
Supraventricular arrhythmias (see literature). Ventricular tachycardias (not first-line). Tachyarrhythmias of digitalis intoxication. Resistant tachyarrythmias due to excessive catecholamine action during anesthesia.
Usual dose: 1–3mg IV at a rate of 1mg/min. If necessary, a second dose may be given after 2 minutes. Thereafter, additional drug should not be given in less than 4 hours. Transfer to oral therapy as soon as possible.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock.
CHF. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Bronchospastic disease, COPD. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, haloperidol, propafenone, quinidine, disopyramide, amiodarone. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs (eg, reserpine). Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Caution with drugs that slow A-V nodal conduction (eg, calcium channel blockers, digitalis, lidocaine). Potentiates theophylline, antipyrine, lidocaine. Antihypertensive effects of clonidine may be antagonized. Concomitant methoxyflurane, trichloroethylene may depress myocardial contractility. Concomitant thyroxine may result in lower T3 concentration. May block epinephrine. May interfere with glaucoma screening tests. Monitor prothrombin time with warfarin.
Bradycardia, CHF, intensification of AV block, hypotension, CNS effects, GI upset, pharyngitis, rash, bronchospasm, blood dyscrasias; rare: SLE.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder