Generic Name and Formulations:
Dipivefrin HCl 0.1%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for PROPINE:
Initial therapy for the control of intraocular pressure in chronic open-angle glaucoma.
1 drop every 12 hrs. Transferring from antiglaucoma agents other than epinephrine: on the first day continue previous medication and add 1 drop of Propine in each eye every 12 hours; on the following day, discontinue previous antiglaucoma agent. Transferring from conventional epinephrine therapy: discontinue epinephrine medication and institute Propine regimen. If additional therapy is required, add 1 drop of Propine every 12 hours to other antiglaucoma agents. Concomitant therapy: may add Propine to pilocarpine, carbachol, echothiophate iodide or acetazolamide for difficult to control patients.
Aphakic patients are at increased risk of developing maculopathy; monitor visual acuity closely. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Local effects (eg, injection, burning, stinging, follicular conjunctivitis, pain, mydriasis, blurry vision, pruritus, adrenochrome deposits in the conjunctiva and cornea), headache, allergic reaction, cardiovascular effects (eg, tachycardia, arrhythmias, hypertension).
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders