Propantheline bromide Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Propantheline bromide 15mg; tabs.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Propantheline bromide:
Adjunctive therapy in the treatment of peptic ulcer.
15mg taken 30 minutes before each meal and 30mg at bedtime. Total daily dose: 75mg.
Glaucoma. GI obstruction (eg, pyloroduodenal stenosis, achalasia, paralytic ileus). GU obstruction (eg, bladder-neck obstruction due to prostatic hypertrophy). Intestinal atony of elderly or debilitated. Severe ulcerative colitis. Toxic megacolon. Unstable cardiovascular adjustment in acute hemorrhage. Myasthenia gravis.
High environmental temperature. Monitor for diarrhea; may be symptom of incomplete intestinal obstruction. Heart disease. CHF. Cardiac tachyarrhythmias. Hypertension. Hiatal hernia associated with reflux esophagitis. Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal disease. Hyperthyroidism. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive anticholinergic effects with concomitant belladonna alkaloids, narcotic analgesics (eg, meperidine), Class I antiarrhythmics (eg, disopyramide, procainamide, quinidine), antihistamines, phenothiazines (may potentiated sedative effects), tricyclic antidepressants, other anticholinergics. Increased intraocular pressure with concomitant corticosteroids. May potentiate slow-dissolving digoxin tablets; use rapidly-dissolving digoxin tablets instead.
Drying of salivary secretions, decreased sweating, ophthalmic effects (eg, blurred vision, mydriasis, cycloplegia, increased ocular tension), urinary hesitancy and retention, tachycardia, palpitations, loss of sense of taste, headache, nervousness, mental confusion, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, insomnia, GI upset, constipation, bloating, impotence, lactation suppression, allergic reactions.
Formerly known under the brand name Pro-Banthine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders