Generic Name and Formulations:
Progesterone (micronized) 100mg, 200mg; caps; contains peanut oil.
Virtus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for PROMETRIUM:
To prevent endometrial hyperplasia in postmenopausal women with an intact uterus receiving conjugated estrogens. Secondary amenorrhea.
Endometrial hyperplasia prevention: 200mg once daily in the PM for 12 sequential days of each 28-day cycle. Amenorrhea: 400mg once daily in the PM for 10 days.
Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding. Breast or genital carcinoma. Severe liver dysfunction or disease. Missed abortion. Thrombophlebitis, thromboembolic disorders, cerebral apoplexy. Not for use as a diagnostic test for pregnancy. Peanut allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Conditions that may be aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Depression. Discontinue if thrombotic disorders, papilledema, or retinal vascular lesions occur. Do initial and annual physical exam (include BP, PAP smear, mammogram). Discontinue pending exam if visual disturbances or migraine occurs. Monitor diabetics. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Dizziness, mastodynia, headache, abdominal pain/bloating, fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, emotional lability, GI upset, vaginal discharge.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder