Generic Name and Formulations:
Progesterone (micronized) 100mg, 200mg; caps; contains peanut oil.
Virtus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for PROMETRIUM:
To prevent endometrial hyperplasia in postmenopausal women with an intact uterus receiving conjugated estrogens. Secondary amenorrhea.
Endometrial hyperplasia prevention: 200mg once daily in the PM for 12 sequential days of each 28-day cycle. Amenorrhea: 400mg once daily in the PM for 10 days.
Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding. Breast or genital carcinoma. Severe liver dysfunction or disease. Missed abortion. Thrombophlebitis, thromboembolic disorders, cerebral apoplexy. Not for use as a diagnostic test for pregnancy. Peanut allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Conditions that may be aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Depression. Discontinue if thrombotic disorders, papilledema, or retinal vascular lesions occur. Do initial and annual physical exam (include BP, PAP smear, mammogram). Discontinue pending exam if visual disturbances or migraine occurs. Monitor diabetics. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Dizziness, mastodynia, headache, abdominal pain/bloating, fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, emotional lability, GI upset, vaginal discharge.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders