Promethazine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 12.5mg+, 25mg+, 50mg; tabs; +scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine HCl Tablets:
Motion sickness. Perioperative nausea & vomiting.
Motion sickness: 25mg 30–60mins before travel; may repeat in 8–12hrs; maintenance 25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg at 4–6hr intervals.
<2yrs: see Contraindications. Motion sickness: ≥2yrs: 12.5–25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 0.5mg/lb or 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg or 0.5mg/lb at 4–6hr intervals.
Children <2yrs. Dehydrated or ill children (esp. Reye's syndrome). History of sleep apnea. Asthma and lower respiratory disorders. Uncomplicated nausea in children.
Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Cardiovascular or liver disease. Seizure disorders. Peptic ulcer. Bone marrow depression. Elderly. Children ≥2yrs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with MAOIs. May alter hCG pregnancy test results.
Drowsiness, lowered seizure threshold, cholestatic jaundice, anticholinergic and extrapyramidal effects, photosensitivity, hypo- or hypertension, rash, blood dyscrasias, nausea, neonatal platelet abnormalities; children: respiratory depression (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand names Phenergan (tabs, supps); Promethacon (supps).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders