Prochlorperazine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prochlorperazine Suppositories:
Severe nausea and vomiting.
Oral: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily; usual max 40mg/day. Rectal: 25mg twice daily.
<2yrs or <20lbs: not recommended. Oral: 20–29lbs: 2½mg once or twice daily; max 7.5mg/day. 30–39lbs: 2½mg 2–3 times daily; max 10mg/day. 40–85lbs: 2½mg 3 times daily or 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Coma. CNS depression. Pediatric surgery. Children <2yrs or <20lbs.
Discontinue 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Cardiovascular disease. Epilepsy. Bone marrow depression. Reye's syndrome. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor blood, liver, and ocular function. Write ℞ using fractions rather than decimals. Children with acute illness or dehydration. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Potentiates α-blockers. Levels of both drugs increased with propranolol. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor for toxicity. Adjust anticonvulsant doses. May antagonize oral anticoagulants. Hypotension potentiated with thiazide diuretics. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreases guanethidine effects. Monitor for neurologic toxicity with lithium; discontinue if occurs. May cause false (+) PKU test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, amenorrhea, blurred vision, other anticholinergic effects, skin reactions, hypotension, cholestatic jaundice, photosensitivity, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, agitation, insomnia, dystonias, extrapyramidal reactions, pseudoparkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, may mask emetic signs of disease, lowered seizure threshold, EKG changes, aspiration, deep sleep, hyperprolactinemia, paradoxical excitement in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Compazine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders