Prochlorperazine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prochlorperazine Suppositories:
Severe nausea and vomiting.
Oral: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily; usual max 40mg/day. Rectal: 25mg twice daily.
<2yrs or <20lbs: not recommended. Oral: 20–29lbs: 2½mg once or twice daily; max 7.5mg/day. 30–39lbs: 2½mg 2–3 times daily; max 10mg/day. 40–85lbs: 2½mg 3 times daily or 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Coma. CNS depression. Pediatric surgery. Children <2yrs or <20lbs.
Discontinue 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Cardiovascular disease. Epilepsy. Bone marrow depression. Reye's syndrome. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor blood, liver, and ocular function. Write ℞ using fractions rather than decimals. Children with acute illness or dehydration. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Potentiates α-blockers. Levels of both drugs increased with propranolol. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor for toxicity. Adjust anticonvulsant doses. May antagonize oral anticoagulants. Hypotension potentiated with thiazide diuretics. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreases guanethidine effects. Monitor for neurologic toxicity with lithium; discontinue if occurs. May cause false (+) PKU test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, amenorrhea, blurred vision, other anticholinergic effects, skin reactions, hypotension, cholestatic jaundice, photosensitivity, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, agitation, insomnia, dystonias, extrapyramidal reactions, pseudoparkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, may mask emetic signs of disease, lowered seizure threshold, EKG changes, aspiration, deep sleep, hyperprolactinemia, paradoxical excitement in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Compazine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management