Prochlorperazine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prochlorperazine Suppositories:
Severe nausea and vomiting.
Oral: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily; usual max 40mg/day. Rectal: 25mg twice daily.
<2yrs or <20lbs: not recommended. Oral: 20–29lbs: 2½mg once or twice daily; max 7.5mg/day. 30–39lbs: 2½mg 2–3 times daily; max 10mg/day. 40–85lbs: 2½mg 3 times daily or 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Coma. CNS depression. Pediatric surgery. Children <2yrs or <20lbs.
Discontinue 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Cardiovascular disease. Epilepsy. Bone marrow depression. Reye's syndrome. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor blood, liver, and ocular function. Write ℞ using fractions rather than decimals. Children with acute illness or dehydration. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Potentiates α-blockers. Levels of both drugs increased with propranolol. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor for toxicity. Adjust anticonvulsant doses. May antagonize oral anticoagulants. Hypotension potentiated with thiazide diuretics. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreases guanethidine effects. Monitor for neurologic toxicity with lithium; discontinue if occurs. May cause false (+) PKU test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, amenorrhea, blurred vision, other anticholinergic effects, skin reactions, hypotension, cholestatic jaundice, photosensitivity, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, agitation, insomnia, dystonias, extrapyramidal reactions, pseudoparkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, may mask emetic signs of disease, lowered seizure threshold, EKG changes, aspiration, deep sleep, hyperprolactinemia, paradoxical excitement in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Compazine.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?