Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 10mg; caps.
Indications for PROCARDIA:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Initially 10mg three times daily, titrate over 7–14 days (for faster titration: see full labeling). Usual range 10–20mg three times daily; max 30mg/dose and 180mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Avoid administration within 1–2 weeks post MI or in acute coronary syndrome. Heart failure. GI narrowing/ulcers (tabs). Monitor blood pressure initially and during titration. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Severe hypotension, angina, and CHF possible with beta-blockers. Avoid concomitant phenytoin or CYP3A4 inducers; consider alternative antihypertensive therapy. Avoid concomitant grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, nefazodone, fluoxetine, saquinavir, indinavir, nelfinavir), or cimetidine; consider initiating nifedipine at lowest dose. Potentiates digoxin (monitor). Hypotension possible with fentanyl. GI obstruction possible with H2-blockers, opiates, NSAIDs, laxatives, anticholinergics, levothyroxine, neuromuscular blockers. Monitor oral anticoagulants, quinidine. Taper beta-blockers before initiating nifedipine.
Edema, dizziness, nausea, headache, flushing, weakness, hypotension, fatigue, constipation, palpitations, muscle cramps; rare: increased angina, acute MI, elevated enzymes.
Tabs 30mg, 60mg—100, 300; 90mg—100; Caps—100
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children