Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethoprim (as HCl) 50mg/5mL; bubble-gum flavored soln; alcohol- and dye-free.
Aytu BioScience, Inc.
Indications for PRIMSOL:
Susceptible acute otitis media (AOM) due to S. pneumoniae or H. influenzae in children. Susceptible initial episodes of uncomplicated UTIs in adults.
UTIs: 100mg twice daily, or 200mg once daily; both for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: CrCl 15–30mL/min: reduce dose by ½; CrCl <15mL/min: not recommended.
<6months: not recommended. ≥6months: AOM: 10mg/kg daily in 2 divided doses every 12 hours for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: CrCl 15–30mL/min: reduce dose by ½; CrCl <15mL/min: not recommended.
Megaloblastic anemia due to folate deficiency.
Avoid large doses or prolonged administration (increased risk of blood disorders). Monitor CBC, discontinue if signs of blood disorders occur. Possible folate deficiency (may give folate concomitantly). Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate phenytoin. May interfere with some creatinine tests (alkaline picrate reduction).
Folic acid inhibitor.
Rash, GI upset, hematological or renal effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders