PRIMAXIN IM 500 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Imipenem 500mg, cilastatin sodium 500mg; IM inj; sodium content 2.8mEq/g imipenem.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PRIMAXIN IM 500:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, skin and skin structure, gynecologic. IM form not for severe or life-threatening infections.
Base dose on imipenem component. Lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic: mild to moderate: 500–750mg every 12 hours. Intraabdominal: 750mg every 12 hours. CrCl <20mL/min: not recommended.
IM: Allergy to amide-type local anesthetics. Heart block. Severe shock.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other allergy. CNS disorders (esp. brain lesions or seizures). Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hemodialysis: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). IM: prepare with lidocaine (see literature). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Carbapenem (thienamycin) + dehydropeptidase I inhibitor.
Concomitant ganciclovir (increased seizure risk), probenecid: not recommended. May antagonize valproic acid; monitor (consider alternative therapy).
Local reactions, GI upset, confusion, myoclonia, seizures, changes in serum electrolytes, dizziness, somnolence, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever, rash, hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses