PRIMAXIN IM 500 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Imipenem 500mg, cilastatin sodium 500mg; IM inj; sodium content 2.8mEq/g imipenem.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PRIMAXIN IM 500:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, skin and skin structure, gynecologic. IM form not for severe or life-threatening infections.
Base dose on imipenem component. Lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic: mild to moderate: 500–750mg every 12 hours. Intraabdominal: 750mg every 12 hours. CrCl <20mL/min: not recommended.
IM: Allergy to amide-type local anesthetics. Heart block. Severe shock.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other allergy. CNS disorders (esp. brain lesions or seizures). Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hemodialysis: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). IM: prepare with lidocaine (see literature). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ganciclovir (increased seizure risk), probenecid: not recommended. May antagonize valproic acid; monitor (consider alternative therapy).
Carbapenem (thienamycin) + dehydropeptidase I inhibitor.
Local reactions, GI upset, confusion, myoclonia, seizures, changes in serum electrolytes, dizziness, somnolence, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever, rash, hypotension.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder