PRIMAXIN IM 500 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Imipenem 500mg, cilastatin sodium 500mg; IM inj; sodium content 2.8mEq/g imipenem.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PRIMAXIN IM 500:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, skin and skin structure, gynecologic. IM form not for severe or life-threatening infections.
Base dose on imipenem component. Lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic: mild to moderate: 500–750mg every 12 hours. Intraabdominal: 750mg every 12 hours. CrCl <20mL/min: not recommended.
IM: Allergy to amide-type local anesthetics. Heart block. Severe shock.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other allergy. CNS disorders (esp. brain lesions or seizures). Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hemodialysis: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). IM: prepare with lidocaine (see literature). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ganciclovir (increased seizure risk), probenecid: not recommended. May antagonize valproic acid; monitor (consider alternative therapy).
Carbapenem (thienamycin) + dehydropeptidase I inhibitor.
Local reactions, GI upset, confusion, myoclonia, seizures, changes in serum electrolytes, dizziness, somnolence, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever, rash, hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders