Generic Name and Formulations:
Primaquine phosphate 26.3mg (equivalent to 15mg base); tabs.
Indications for PRIMAQUINE:
For the radical cure (prevention of relapse) of vivax malaria.
1 tab daily for 14 days.
Severe G6PD deficiency. Acutely ill patients suffering from systemic disease manifested by tendency to granulocytopenia (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE). Concomitant hemolytic or bone marrow suppressive drugs, quinacrine. Pregnancy.
Perform G6PD testing prior to initiation. Mild-to-moderate G6PD deficiency or unknown G6PD status: assess risk vs. benefit; if considered, monitor hbg/hct at baseline, at Days 3 and 8 of therapy; have medical support available. Discontinue if signs of hemolytic anemia occur. History of favism. Perform routine CBCs during therapy; in those with history of hemolytic anemia or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency; monitor closely. Risk for QT prolongation in cardiac disease, long QT syndrome, history of ventricular arrhythmias, uncorrected hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia, or bradycardia (<50bpm); monitor ECG. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential should exclude pregnancy prior to initiation and use effective contraception during and after stopping treatment until completion of on-going ovulatory cycle; males should use condoms during and for 3 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Caution with concomitant other drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, leukopenia, cardiac arrhythmia, dizziness, rash, pruritus.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records