Generic Name and Formulations:
Primaquine phosphate 26.3mg (equivalent to 15mg base); tabs.
Indications for PRIMAQUINE:
For the radical cure (prevention of relapse) of vivax malaria.
1 tab daily for 14 days.
Severe G6PD deficiency. Acutely ill patients suffering from systemic disease manifested by tendency to granulocytopenia (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE). Concomitant hemolytic or bone marrow suppressive drugs, quinacrine. Pregnancy.
Perform G6PD testing prior to initiation. Mild-to-moderate G6PD deficiency or unknown G6PD status: assess risk vs. benefit; if considered, monitor hbg/hct at baseline, at Days 3 and 8 of therapy; have medical support available. Discontinue if signs of hemolytic anemia occur. History of favism. Perform routine CBCs during therapy; in those with history of hemolytic anemia or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency; monitor closely. Risk for QT prolongation in cardiac disease, long QT syndrome, history of ventricular arrhythmias, uncorrected hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia, or bradycardia (<50bpm); monitor ECG. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential should exclude pregnancy prior to initiation and use effective contraception during and after stopping treatment until completion of on-going ovulatory cycle; males should use condoms during and for 3 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Caution with concomitant other drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, leukopenia, cardiac arrhythmia, dizziness, rash, pruritus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders