Prilocaine HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prilocaine HCl 40mg/mL; soln for inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prilocaine HCl Injection:
Local anesthesia in dentistry by nerve block or infiltration techniques.
Maxillary infiltration: initially 1–2mL; max recommended dose within a 2-hour period: <70kg: 8mg/kg; ≥70kg: 600mg. Elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose.
<10yrs: use Clarks rule to calculate dose.
Congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia.
Have resuscitative equipment, oxygen, and standard protocol for management of malignant hyperthermia available. G6PD deficiency. Severe shock. Heart block. Hepatic disease. Impaired cardiovascular function. Head and neck block. Monitor cardiovascular and respiratory vital signs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Risk of methemoglobinemia with sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilid, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine.
Local anesthetic (amide-type).
Swelling and persistent paresthesia of lips, oral tissue; CNS effects (eg, excitation, depression, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, tremors), cardiovascular effects (eg, bradycardia, hypotension, cardiovascular collapse), allergic-type reactions, neurologic effects, increased creatinine phosphokinase.
Formerly known under the brand name Citanest Plain Dental.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders