Prilocaine HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prilocaine HCl 40mg/mL; soln for inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prilocaine HCl Injection:
Local anesthesia in dentistry by nerve block or infiltration techniques.
Maxillary infiltration: initially 1–2mL; max recommended dose within a 2-hour period: <70kg: 8mg/kg; ≥70kg: 600mg. Elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose.
<10yrs: use Clarks rule to calculate dose.
Congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia.
Have resuscitative equipment, oxygen, and standard protocol for management of malignant hyperthermia available. G6PD deficiency. Severe shock. Heart block. Hepatic disease. Impaired cardiovascular function. Head and neck block. Monitor cardiovascular and respiratory vital signs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Local anesthetic (amide-type).
Risk of methemoglobinemia with sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilid, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine.
Swelling and persistent paresthesia of lips, oral tissue; CNS effects (eg, excitation, depression, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, tremors), cardiovascular effects (eg, bradycardia, hypotension, cardiovascular collapse), allergic-type reactions, neurologic effects, increased creatinine phosphokinase.
Formerly known under the brand name Citanest Plain Dental.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses