Generic Name and Formulations:
Ziconotide acetate 25mcg/mL, 100mcg/mL; soln for intrathecal infusion; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for PRIALT:
Management of severe chronic pain in patients for whom intrathecal therapy is warranted and who are intolerant of or refractory to other treatment (eg, systemic analgesics, adjunctive therapies, intrathecal morphine).
Give by intrathecal infusion using appropriate microinfusion device and procedures. Individualize; see literature. Initial: up to 2.4mcg/day (0.1microgram/hr); titrate in increments of up to 2.4mcg/day (0.1mcg/hr) at intervals of up to 2–3 times per week; max 19.2mcg/day (0.8mcg/hr) by day 21.
History of psychosis. Inj site infections. Uncontrolled bleeding diathesis. Spinal canal obstruction.
Discontinue if infection, cognitive impairment, hallucinations, mood changes, or impaired consciousness occur. Reduce dose or discontinue if myasthenias, myalgia, or persistent increases in serum creatine kinase occur. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant intrathecal opiates: not recommended. CNS effects potentiated by other CNS depressants, antiepileptics, neuroleptics, diuretics; discontinue ziconotide if occurs.
Analgesic (non-opioid N-type calcium channel blocker).
Dizziness, GI upset, fever, headache, somnolence, nystagmus, asthenia, ataxia, abnormal vision, dysesthesia, parasthesia, urinary retention, psychiatric effects (eg, hallucinations, mania), cognitive/memory impairment (eg, confusion, aphasia, stupor), worsening depression/suicidal ideation.
Soln single-use vial
100mcg/mL (1mL, 5mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder