Generic Name and Formulations:
Pneumococcal 7-valent conjugate vaccine (diphtheria CRM197 protein) 16micrograms of saccharides per 0.5mL; susp for IM inj; contains aluminum.
Indications for PREVNAR:
Immunization of infants and toddlers against invasive disease and otitis media caused by S. pneumoniae due to serotypes 4, 6B, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, and 23F.
Each dose is 0.5mL IM into the anterolateral thigh for infants or the deltoid muscle for toddlers and children; avoid nerves and blood vessels. May pretreat with antipyretic. <6weeks: not recommended. ≥6weeks: 4 doses usually given at 2, 4, 6, and 12–15 months of age (may start at 6 weeks of age: give 1st three doses 4–8 weeks apart, and 4th dose at least 2 months after 3rd dose). Previously unvaccinated older infants and children: 7–11months of age: 3 doses (2nd dose at least 4 weeks after 1st dose, 3rd dose after 1st birthday and at least 2 months after 2nd dose); 12–23months of age: 2 doses at least 2 months apart; 2–9yrs of age: 1 dose once.
Allergies to any diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine.
May defer in acute moderate or severe febrile illness. Immunocompromised. Not a substitute for diphtheria, or for 23-valent polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccinations. Coagulation disorders. Have epinephrine inj available. Premature infants. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Inj site reactions, irritability, drowsiness, fever, restless sleep, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, hives; rare: febrile seizures.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder