Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 0.5mg/3g; endocervical gel.
Indications for PREPIDIL:
Ripening an unfavorable cervix in pregnant women at or near term.
See full labeling.
Where oxytocics or prolonged uterine contractions are inappropriate, including: history of cesarean section, major uterine surgery, presence of cephalopelvic disproportion, difficult labor, traumatic delivery, 6 or more previous term pregnancies, nonvertex presentation, hyperactive or hypertonic uterine patterns, fetal distress where delivery is not imminent. Ruptured membranes. Placenta previa or unexplained vaginal bleeding. When vaginal delivery is not indicated. Concomitant oxytocics.
For hospital use only when immediate intensive care and acute surgical facilities can be provided. Avoid contact with skin. Monitor uterine activity, fetal status, cervix. History of/or asthma. Glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure. If hypersensitivity reaction is suspected, remove Prepidil gel if possible. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Potentiates oxytocics. Oxytocin: a dosing interval of 6–12hrs is needed, if used following Prepidil administration.
Maternal: Uterine rupture, uterine contraction abnormality, GI upset, back pain, warm feeling in vagina, fever, premature rupture of membranes. Fetal: Heart rate abnormality, fetal depression, fetal acidosis. Amnionitis and intrauterine fetal sepsis associated with extra-intrauterine administration.
Prefilled-syringe applicator (w. catheters)—5
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV