Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 0.5mg/3g; endocervical gel.
Indications for PREPIDIL:
Ripening an unfavorable cervix in pregnant women at or near term.
See full labeling.
Where oxytocics or prolonged uterine contractions are inappropriate, including: history of cesarean section, major uterine surgery, presence of cephalopelvic disproportion, difficult labor, traumatic delivery, 6 or more previous term pregnancies, nonvertex presentation, hyperactive or hypertonic uterine patterns, fetal distress where delivery is not imminent. Ruptured membranes. Placenta previa or unexplained vaginal bleeding. When vaginal delivery is not indicated. Concomitant oxytocics.
For hospital use only when immediate intensive care and acute surgical facilities can be provided. Avoid contact with skin. Monitor uterine activity, fetal status, cervix. History of/or asthma. Glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure. If hypersensitivity reaction is suspected, remove Prepidil gel if possible. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Potentiates oxytocics. Oxytocin: a dosing interval of 6–12hrs is needed, if used following Prepidil administration.
Maternal: Uterine rupture, uterine contraction abnormality, GI upset, back pain, warm feeling in vagina, fever, premature rupture of membranes. Fetal: Heart rate abnormality, fetal depression, fetal acidosis. Amnionitis and intrauterine fetal sepsis associated with extra-intrauterine administration.
Prefilled-syringe applicator (w. catheters)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age