Generic Name and Formulations:
Estradiol 1mg tabs; estradiol 1mg + norgestimate 0.09mg tabs; in an alternating sequence of 3 tabs each.
Indications for PREFEST:
In women with an intact uterus: treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause; treatment of vulvar and vaginal atrophy; prevention of osteoporosis.
1 tab daily in correct sequence; repeat without interruption. Reevaluate periodically.
Breast or estrogen-dependent neoplasia. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Thrombophlebitis. Thromboembolic disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Not for prevention of cardiovascular disease. Use for shortest duration consistent with treatment goals and risks. Discontinue if cardiovascular events occur or are suspected; if jaundice occurs; and during immobilization or at least 2 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Hepatic dysfunction. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Gallbladder disease. Hypercalcemia in breast cancer or bone metastases. Hypercoagulability. Depression. Do initial complete physical and repeat at least yearly (include BP, PAP smear, mammogram). Familial hyperlipoproteinemia. Discontinue if visual disturbances occur. May interfere with lab tests. See literature. Nursing mothers.
Estrogen + progestin.
See literature. Headache, abdominal or back pain, arthralgia, vaginitis, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, depression, myalgia, mastodynia, chloasma, visual changes, intolerance to contact lenses, serum lipid changes.
Tabs—30 (blister pack)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder