Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate Oral Solution 25mg/5mL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone 25mg/5mL; grape flavored.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate Oral Solution 25mg/5mL:
See full labeling. Initially 5–60mg daily.
See full labeling. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg/day in 3 or 4 divided doses.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
Systemic fungal infections, cerebral malaria, optic neuritis: not recommended. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Ocular herpes simplex. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. HPA axis suppression. Cushing’s syndrome. Hyperglycemia. Thyroid disorders. Hypertension. CHF. Renal insufficiency. Recent MI. Risk of GI perforation. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Kaposi’s sarcoma. May cause electrolyte imbalances or psychotic manifestations. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, BP, IOP, fluid and electrolyte balance. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbama-zepine, rifampin), cholestyramine, aminoglutethimide. May potentiate cyclosporine. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid. Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin or NSAIDs. Caution with aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs. Withdraw anticholinesterase agents at least 24hrs before initiating therapy. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Soln (25mg/5mL)—8oz; 15mg/5mL—contact supplier
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder