Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate Oral Solution 25mg/5mL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone 25mg/5mL; grape flavored.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate Oral Solution 25mg/5mL:
See full labeling. Initially 5–60mg daily.
See full labeling. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg/day in 3 or 4 divided doses.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
Systemic fungal infections, cerebral malaria, optic neuritis: not recommended. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Ocular herpes simplex. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. HPA axis suppression. Cushing’s syndrome. Hyperglycemia. Thyroid disorders. Hypertension. CHF. Renal insufficiency. Recent MI. Risk of GI perforation. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Kaposi’s sarcoma. May cause electrolyte imbalances or psychotic manifestations. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, BP, IOP, fluid and electrolyte balance. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbama-zepine, rifampin), cholestyramine, aminoglutethimide. May potentiate cyclosporine. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid. Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin or NSAIDs. Caution with aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs. Withdraw anticholinesterase agents at least 24hrs before initiating therapy. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Soln (25mg/5mL)—8oz; 15mg/5mL—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age