Generic Name and Formulations:
Acarbose 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for PRECOSE:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes, alone or with insulin, metformin, or a sulfonylurea.
Take with first bite of each main meal. Initially 25mg three times daily; increase at 4–8 wk intervals if needed. Or, (to minimize GI effects): initially 25mg once daily, increase gradually to 25mg three times daily. Range: 50–100mg three times daily. ≤60kg: max 50mg three times daily; >60kg: max 100mg three times daily.
Ketoacidosis. Cirrhosis. Inflammatory bowel disease. Colonic ulceration. Partial or predisposition to intestinal obstruction. Chronic intestinal disease with marked disorders of digestion or absorption. Conditions that may deteriorate from increased intestinal gas formation.
Significant renal dysfunction (serum creatinine >2mg/dL): not recommended. Use glucose, not sucrose, to treat hypoglycemia. Stress. Monitor 1-hour postprandial glucose initially and during titration, then glycosylated hemoglobin. Monitor serum transaminases every 3 months during 1st year and periodically thereafter. Pregnancy (Cat.B): consider insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that cause hyperglycemia (eg, diuretics, steroids, estrogens, phenothiazines, thyroid products, phenytoin, niacin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers, isoniazid). Antagonized by intestinal adsorbents (eg, charcoal), pancreatin, amylase, other carbohydrate-splitting enzymes. Monitor digoxin; and for hypoglycemia if used with insulin or a sulfonylurea. May result in unreliable measurements of 1,5-AG assay; use alternative methods to monitor glycemic control.
Transient flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?