Generic Name and Formulations:
Acarbose 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for PRECOSE:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes, alone or with insulin, metformin, or a sulfonylurea.
Take with first bite of each main meal. Initially 25mg three times daily; increase at 4–8 wk intervals if needed. Or, (to minimize GI effects): initially 25mg once daily, increase gradually to 25mg three times daily. Range: 50–100mg three times daily. ≤60kg: max 50mg three times daily; >60kg: max 100mg three times daily.
Ketoacidosis. Cirrhosis. Inflammatory bowel disease. Colonic ulceration. Partial or predisposition to intestinal obstruction. Chronic intestinal disease with marked disorders of digestion or absorption. Conditions that may deteriorate from increased intestinal gas formation.
Significant renal dysfunction (serum creatinine >2mg/dL): not recommended. Use glucose, not sucrose, to treat hypoglycemia. Stress. Monitor 1-hour postprandial glucose initially and during titration, then glycosylated hemoglobin. Monitor serum transaminases every 3 months during 1st year and periodically thereafter. Pregnancy (Cat.B): consider insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that cause hyperglycemia (eg, diuretics, steroids, estrogens, phenothiazines, thyroid products, phenytoin, niacin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers, isoniazid). Antagonized by intestinal adsorbents (eg, charcoal), pancreatin, amylase, other carbohydrate-splitting enzymes. Monitor digoxin; and for hypoglycemia if used with insulin or a sulfonylurea. May result in unreliable measurements of 1,5-AG assay; use alternative methods to monitor glycemic control.
Transient flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders