Generic Name and Formulations:
Alirocumab 75mg/mL, 150mg/mL; soln for SC inj; preservative-free.
Sanofi US and Regeneron
Indications for PRALUENT:
Adjunct to diet and maximally tolerated statin therapy, in adults with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia or clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease requiring additional lowering of LDL-C.
Limitations Of use:
Effect on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality has not been determined.
Give by SC inj into thigh, abdomen, or upper arm; rotate inj sites. Initially 75mg once every 2 weeks. Measure LDL-C levels within 4–8 weeks of initiation or titration; may increase to max 150mg given every 2 weeks if LDL-C response is inadequate. Alternative monthly regimen: initially 300mg (two 150mg injs consecutively at two different sites) once every 4 weeks. Measure LDL-C levels just prior to next scheduled dose; may adjust dose to 150mg every 2 weeks, starting on next scheduled dosing date if LDL-C response is inadequate.
Do not inject into areas of active skin disease or injury (eg, sunburns, rashes, inflammation, skin infections). Discontinue if serious allergic reactions occur. Pregnancy (2nd & 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers.
Avoid co-administration with other injectable drugs at same inj site.
Proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin type 9 (PCSK9) inhibitor.
Nasopharyngitis, inj site reactions (eg, erythema/redness, itching, swelling, pain/tenderness), influenza.
Single-dose prefilled pen or syringe (1mL)—1, 2
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder