post-traumatic stress disorder
After viewing traumatic videos, people who played Tetris experienced fewer intrusive memories than those who didn't play the video game.
While PTSD is thought by many to primarily impact men, rates are twice as high in women as men.
Danish study of more than 4,000 people finds PTSD is not a risk factor for developing nearly all types of cancer examined.
A substance in turmeric powder may help reduce brain damage from Alzheimer's disease and ease fearful memories in PTSD.
Looking at both the social and neurological aspects of mental illness may be a better approach for research and treatment.
Veterans who have both PTSD and traumatic brain injury have worse outcomes than those who have just one condition.
Women with multiple symptoms of PTSD more than twice as likely to get addicted to food compared to women with no trauma history.
Ketamine led to significant and rapid decline in severity of symptoms.
Integrated, evidence-based treatments for both PTSD and substance-use disorder are an area of unmet need.
Pregnant women with post-traumatic stress diosrders and major depressive disorder where four times more likely to deliver preterm.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Effects of Antipsychotic Drugs on the Cardiovascular System
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows