Polymyxin B/Neomycin/Bacitracin/Hydrocortisone Oph Oint Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 10000 Units, neomycin 0.35% (as sulfate), bacitracin zinc 400 Units, hydrocortisone 1%; per g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B/Neomycin/Bacitracin/Hydrocortisone Oph Oint:
Ocular inflammation associated with infection.
1–2 drops or small amount of oint every 3–4 hours (may use susp more often); max 20mL or 8g per therapeutic course.
Ocular fungal, viral or mycobacterial infections.
Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor IOP, for secondary infections, and avoid abrupt cessation in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Local irritation, sensitization, masks infection, delays healing; in prolonged use: increased IOP, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage.
Formerly known under the brand name Cortisporin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder