Polymyxin B Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 500,000units/vial; pwd for IM, intrathecal inj, IV drip or ophthalmic use after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B Inj:
Susceptible infections due to P. aeruginosa including UTIs, meninges, bloodstream, and eye infections. Other serious susceptible infections including H. influenza meningeal, E. coli UTIs, and bacteremia due to A. aerogenes and K. pneumoniae.
Adults and Children:
Infants: up to 40,000units/kg per day IV or IM inj. Adults and children: IV: 15,000–25,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours; max 25,000units/kg per day. IM: 25,000–30,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. P. aeruginosa meningitis: Give by intrathecal inj only. <2yrs: 20,000units once daily for 3–4 days or 25,000units once every other day, continue with 25,000units once every other day; >2yrs: 50,000units once daily for 3–4 days, then 50,000units once every other day; both: treat for at least 2 weeks after negative CSF cultures and sugar content normalized. Ophthalmic: see literature. Renal impairment: adjust or reduce dose.
Renal impairment. Monitor renal function before and during therapy; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Pregnancy: not recommended.
Avoid other neurotoxic and/or nephrotoxic drugs (eg, bacitracin, aminoglycosides, colistin). May potentiate neuromuscular blockade with anesthetics and/or muscle relaxants.
Nephrotoxicity (eg, albuminuria, azotemia, cylindruria), neurotoxicity (eg, flushing, dizziness, paresthesias), meningeal irritation (intrathecal), drug fever, rash, inj site pain, thrombophlebitis; respiratory paralysis (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Aerosporin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder