Polymyxin B Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 500,000units/vial; pwd for IM, intrathecal inj, IV drip or ophthalmic use after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B Inj:
Susceptible infections due to P. aeruginosa including UTIs, meninges, bloodstream, and eye infections. Other serious susceptible infections including H. influenza meningeal, E. coli UTIs, and bacteremia due to A. aerogenes and K. pneumoniae.
Adults and Children:
Infants: up to 40,000units/kg per day IV or IM inj. Adults and children: IV: 15,000–25,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours; max 25,000units/kg per day. IM: 25,000–30,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. P. aeruginosa meningitis: Give by intrathecal inj only. <2yrs: 20,000units once daily for 3–4 days or 25,000units once every other day, continue with 25,000units once every other day; >2yrs: 50,000units once daily for 3–4 days, then 50,000units once every other day; both: treat for at least 2 weeks after negative CSF cultures and sugar content normalized. Ophthalmic: see literature. Renal impairment: adjust or reduce dose.
Renal impairment. Monitor renal function before and during therapy; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Pregnancy: not recommended.
Avoid other neurotoxic and/or nephrotoxic drugs (eg, bacitracin, aminoglycosides, colistin). May potentiate neuromuscular blockade with anesthetics and/or muscle relaxants.
Nephrotoxicity (eg, albuminuria, azotemia, cylindruria), neurotoxicity (eg, flushing, dizziness, paresthesias), meningeal irritation (intrathecal), drug fever, rash, inj site pain, thrombophlebitis; respiratory paralysis (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Aerosporin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses