Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine 7%, tetracaine 7%; emulsion cream.
Indications for PLIAGLIS:
Local analgesia for superficial dermatological procedures (eg, dermal filler injection, pulsed dye laser therapy, facial laser resurfacing, laser-assisted tattoo removal).
Do not exceed recommended dose or duration. Apply to intact skin prior to procedure; spread evenly and thinly across treatment area using a metal spatula or tongue depressor. Dermal filler inj or facial laser ablation: apply for 20–30 mins. Laser-assisted tattoo removal: apply for 60 mins. Amount (length) to apply: see full labeling.
Avoid overexposure. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. G6PD deficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Pseudocholinesterase deficiency. Avoid contact with eyes, mucous membranes, or areas with a compromised skin barrier (eg, broken or inflamed). Risks of secondary exposure to children and pets; may be toxic. Acutely ill. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Toxicity may be potentiated by Class I antiarrhythmics (eg, tocainide, mexiletine); caution. Additive effects with other local anesthetics; consider the amount absorbed from all formulations. Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant methemoglobin-inducing agents (eg, sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p- aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, and quinine).
Topical anesthetic (amide-type + ester-type).
Localized reactions (eg, erythema, skin discoloration, edema), allergic reactions (eg, urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm, shock).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders