Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine 7%, tetracaine 7%; emulsion cream.
Indications for PLIAGLIS:
Local analgesia for superficial dermatological procedures (eg, dermal filler injection, pulsed dye laser therapy, facial laser resurfacing, laser-assisted tattoo removal).
Do not exceed recommended dose or duration. Apply to intact skin prior to procedure; spread evenly and thinly across treatment area using a metal spatula or tongue depressor. Dermal filler inj or facial laser ablation: apply for 20–30 mins. Laser-assisted tattoo removal: apply for 60 mins. Amount (length) to apply: see full labeling.
Avoid overexposure. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. G6PD deficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Pseudocholinesterase deficiency. Avoid contact with eyes, mucous membranes, or areas with a compromised skin barrier (eg, broken or inflamed). Risks of secondary exposure to children and pets; may be toxic. Acutely ill. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Topical anesthetic (amide-type + ester-type).
Toxicity may be potentiated by Class I antiarrhythmics (eg, tocainide, mexiletine); caution. Additive effects with other local anesthetics; consider the amount absorbed from all formulations. Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant methemoglobin-inducing agents (eg, sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p- aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, and quinine).
Localized reactions (eg, erythema, skin discoloration, edema), allergic reactions (eg, urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm, shock).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder