Generic Name and Formulations:
Cilostazol 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for PLETAL:
100mg twice daily, ½ hr before or 2 hrs after breakfast and dinner. May reduce to 50mg twice daily if used with CYP3A4 or CYP2C19 inhibitors.
Heart failure of any severity.
Risks of tachycardia, palpitation, tachyarrhythmia, or hypotension. Risks of exacerbations of angina pectoris or MI in patients with history of ischemic heart disease. LV outflow tract obstruction: monitor for development of a new systolic murmur or cardiac symptoms. Monitor platelets and WBC periodically. Avoid use in hemostatic disorders or active pathologic bleeding. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by drugs that inhibit CYP3A4 (eg, azole antifungals, macrolides, diltiazem, protease inhibitors) or CYP2C19 (eg, omeprazole, fluconazole, fluoxetine, ticlopidine). Avoid grapefruit juice. Cilostazol has been used with aspirin; caution with other antiplatelets, anticoagulants.
Phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor.
Headache, diarrhea, abnormal stools, palpitations, peripheral edema, dizziness, pharyngitis, infection, tachycardia; rare: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?