Generic Name and Formulations:
Cilostazol 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cilostazol:
100mg twice daily, ½ hr before or 2 hrs after breakfast and dinner. May reduce to 50mg twice daily if used with CYP3A4 or CYP2C19 inhibitors.
Heart failure of any severity.
Contraindicated in heart failure patients.
Risk of tachycardia, palpitation, tachyarrhythmia, or hypotension. Risk of exacerbations of angina pectoris or MI in patients with history of ischemic heart disease. LV outflow tract obstruction: monitor for development of a new systolic murmur or cardiac symptoms. Monitor platelets and WBC periodically. Avoid use in hemostatic disorders or active pathologic bleeding. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor.
Potentiated by drugs that inhibit CYP3A4 (eg, azole antifungals, macrolides, diltiazem, protease inhibitors) or CYP2C19 (eg, omeprazole, fluconazole, fluoxetine, ticlopidine). Avoid grapefruit juice. Cilostazol has been used with aspirin; caution with other antiplatelets, anticoagulants.
Headache, diarrhea, abnormal stools, palpitations, peripheral edema, dizziness, pharyngitis, infection, tachycardia; rare: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age