Generic Name and Formulations:
Peginterferon beta-1a 125mcg; per prefilled pen or syringe; soln for SC inj; preservative-free.
Indications for PLEGRIDY:
Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS).
Give by SC inj in abdomen, back of the upper arm, or thigh; rotate inj sites. Initially 63mcg on Day 1, increase to 94mcg on Day 15, then 125mcg on Day 29 and every 14 days thereafter. May give analgesics and/or antipyretics for flu-like symptoms.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Consider discontinuing if depression or other severe psychiatric symptoms occur. Seizure disorder. Discontinue if serious allergic reactions occur. Significant cardiac disease; monitor for worsening condition at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Monitor for infections, bleeding, anemia. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs with differential and platelets during treatment. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Severe renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Inj site reactions (erythema, pain, pruritus), influenza-like illness, pyrexia, headache, myalgia, chills, asthenia, arthralgia; hepatic injury, seizures, anaphylaxis, CHF, hematologic or autoimmune disorders, inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur).
To enroll women exposed to Plegridy during pregnancy call (866) 810-1462 or visit https://www.plegridypregnancyregistry.com/.
Single-dose prefilled pen (0.5mL)—2; Single-dose prefilled syringe (0.5mL)—2; Starter Pack (pens and syringes)—2 (63mcg + 94mcg)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children