Generic Name and Formulations:
Peginterferon beta-1a 125mcg; per prefilled pen or syringe; soln for SC inj; preservative-free.
Indications for PLEGRIDY:
Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS).
Give by SC inj in abdomen, back of the upper arm, or thigh; rotate inj sites. Initially 63mcg on Day 1, increase to 94mcg on Day 15, then 125mcg on Day 29 and every 14 days thereafter. May give analgesics and/or antipyretics for flu-like symptoms.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Consider discontinuing if depression or other severe psychiatric symptoms occur. Seizure disorder. Discontinue if serious allergic reactions occur. Significant cardiac disease; monitor for worsening condition at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Monitor for infections, bleeding, anemia. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs with differential and platelets during treatment. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Severe renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Inj site reactions (erythema, pain, pruritus), influenza-like illness, pyrexia, headache, myalgia, chills, asthenia, arthralgia; hepatic injury, seizures, anaphylaxis, CHF, hematologic or autoimmune disorders, inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur).
To enroll women exposed to Plegridy during pregnancy call (866) 810-1462 or visit https://www.plegridypregnancyregistry.com/.
Single-dose prefilled pen (0.5mL)—2; Single-dose prefilled syringe (0.5mL)—2; Starter Pack (pens and syringes)—2 (63mcg + 94mcg)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders