Generic Name and Formulations:
Clopidogrel (as bisulfate) 75mg, 300mg; tabs.
Indications for PLAVIX:
To reduce the rate of MI and stroke in patients with: non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-ST-elevation MI) or acute ST-elevation MI; history of recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease; see full labeling.
Acute coronary syndrome (give with aspirin): initially give one 300mg loading dose, then continue at 75mg once daily. Recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease: 75mg once daily without a loading dose.
Active pathologic bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: diminished effectiveness in those who are homozygous for nonfunctional alleles of the CYP2C19 gene. Perform testing for the CYP2C19 genotype before starting therapy; consider alternative treatment if identified. Increased risk of bleeding. Premature discontinuation increases risk of cardiovascular events; if temporarily discontinued (eg, to treat bleeding or surgery; if possible, interrupt therapy for 5 days before such surgery); restart as soon as possible. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant CYP2C19 inhibitors (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole). Caution with concomitant other drugs that increase risk of bleeding (eg, NSAIDs, warfarin, SSRI, SNRI). Avoid concomitant repaglinide; if unavoidable, initiate repaglinide at 0.5mg before each meal; max 4mg/day; monitor glucose frequently.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), epistaxis, hematuria, bruising, ulcers, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Tabs 75mg—30, 90, 100, 500; 300mg—30, 100
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy