Generic Name and Formulations:
Clopidogrel (as bisulfate) 75mg, 300mg; tabs.
Indications for PLAVIX:
To reduce the rate of MI and stroke in patients with: non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-ST-elevation MI) or acute ST-elevation MI; history of recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease; see full labeling.
Acute coronary syndrome (give with aspirin): initially give one 300mg loading dose, then continue at 75mg once daily. Recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease: 75mg once daily without a loading dose.
Active pathologic bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
Diminished antiplatelet effect in patients with two loss-of-function alleles of the CYP2C19 gene.
CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: diminished effectiveness in those who are homozygous for nonfunctional alleles of the CYP2C19 gene. Perform testing for the CYP2C19 genotype before starting therapy; consider alternative treatment if identified. Increased risk of bleeding. Premature discontinuation increases risk of cardiovascular events; if temporarily discontinued (eg, to treat bleeding or surgery; if possible, interrupt therapy for 5 days before such surgery); restart as soon as possible. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Avoid concomitant CYP2C19 inhibitors (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole). Antagonized by opioid agonists (eg, morphine, others); consider using IV anti-platelet agent instead. Caution with concomitant other drugs that increase risk of bleeding (eg, NSAIDs, warfarin, SSRI, SNRI). Avoid concomitant repaglinide; if unavoidable, initiate repaglinide at 0.5mg before each meal; max 4mg/day; monitor glucose frequently.
Bleeding (may be fatal), epistaxis, hematuria, bruising, ulcers, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Tabs 75mg—30, 90, 100, 500; 300mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management