Generic Name and Formulations:
Pindolol 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Pindolol:
Initially 5mg twice daily. May increase after 3–4 wks in 10mg increments; max 60mg daily.
Asthma. Severe bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock.
Severe COPD. Ischemic heart disease or failure. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypotension with prazosin, reserpine. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Caution with verapamil, catecholamine-depleting drugs. May block epinephrine, β-agonists. Potentiated by thioridazine.
Muscle pain, insomnia, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, joint pain, edema, dyspnea, GI upset, paresthesias, chest pain, pruritus, bradycardia, bronchospasm, heart failure or block, angina.
Formerly known under the brand name Visken.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder