Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenytoin sodium, ext-rel 200mg, 300mg; caps.
Indications for PHENYTEK:
Tonic-clonic, psychomotor and neurosurgically induced seizures.
Initially: 100mg 3 times daily. Increase weekly if needed; max 200mg 3 times daily. Once-a-day dosing only with 300mg caps for patients controlled on 300mg daily.
Initially 5mg/kg per day in 2–3 equally divided doses. Increase weekly if needed. Usual maintenance: 4–8mg/kg per day; max 300mg daily.
Diabetes. Impaired liver function. Change dose gradually. Discontinue if rash develops. Monitor serum levels. Use proper dental hygiene. Hormonal contraception. Porphyria. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by acute alcohol ingestion, amiodarone, benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), chloramphenicol, dicumarol, disulfiram, estrogens, halothane, H2 blockers, isoniazid, methylphenidate, phenothiazines, phenylbutazone, salicylates, succinamides (eg, ethosuximide), sulfonamides, tolbutamide, trazodone, others. Antagonized by chronic alcohol ingestion, carbamazepine, reserpine, others. Antagonizes tricyclic antidepressants, oral anticoagulants, oral contraceptives, estrogens, corticosteroids, doxycycline, digitoxin, furosemide, theophylline, rifampin, quinidine, vitamins D and K, others. Variable effects with phenobarbital, valproic acid, divalproex, others. Absorption decreased by calcium, antacids.
Nystagmus, ataxia, slurred speech, decreased coordination, dizziness, GI disturbances, gingival hyperplasia, osteomalacia, blood dyscrasias, lymphadenopathy, hepatic disease, rash, hyperglycemia, SLE, hypertrichosis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder