Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenytoin sodium, ext-rel 200mg, 300mg; caps.
Indications for PHENYTEK:
Tonic-clonic, psychomotor and neurosurgically induced seizures.
Initially: 100mg 3 times daily. Increase weekly if needed; max 200mg 3 times daily. Once-a-day dosing only with 300mg caps for patients controlled on 300mg daily.
Initially 5mg/kg per day in 2–3 equally divided doses. Increase weekly if needed. Usual maintenance: 4–8mg/kg per day; max 300mg daily.
Diabetes. Impaired liver function. Change dose gradually. Discontinue if rash develops. Monitor serum levels. Use proper dental hygiene. Hormonal contraception. Porphyria. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by acute alcohol ingestion, amiodarone, benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), chloramphenicol, dicumarol, disulfiram, estrogens, halothane, H2 blockers, isoniazid, methylphenidate, phenothiazines, phenylbutazone, salicylates, succinamides (eg, ethosuximide), sulfonamides, tolbutamide, trazodone, others. Antagonized by chronic alcohol ingestion, carbamazepine, reserpine, others. Antagonizes tricyclic antidepressants, oral anticoagulants, oral contraceptives, estrogens, corticosteroids, doxycycline, digitoxin, furosemide, theophylline, rifampin, quinidine, vitamins D and K, others. Variable effects with phenobarbital, valproic acid, divalproex, others. Absorption decreased by calcium, antacids.
Nystagmus, ataxia, slurred speech, decreased coordination, dizziness, GI disturbances, gingival hyperplasia, osteomalacia, blood dyscrasias, lymphadenopathy, hepatic disease, rash, hyperglycemia, SLE, hypertrichosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses