Generic Name and Formulations:
Phentermine HCl 15mg (equivalent to 12mg phentermine), 30mg (equivalent to 24mg phentermine); powder-filled or pellet-filled caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Phentermine:
A short-term (a few weeks) adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on exercise, behavioral modification and caloric restriction in the management of exogenous obesity for patients with an initial body mass index ≥30kg/m2, or ≥27kg/m2 in the presence of other risk factors (eg, hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia).
>16yrs: Individualize. Usual dose: 15–30mg at approx. 2hrs after breakfast.
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Advanced arteriosclerosis. Cardiovascular disease. Moderate to severe hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Glaucoma. Agitated states. History of drug abuse. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Increased risk of primary pulmonary hypertension, valvular heart disease. Discontinue if unexplained dyspnea, angina, syncope, or lower extremity edema develops. Mild hypertension. Diabetes. Prescribe minimal supply to avoid overdose. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis possible with MAOIs. Concomitant weight loss drugs, including SSRIs (fluoxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, paroxetine): not recommended. Caution with alcohol. Insulin requirements may be altered. May decrease hypotensive effect of guanethidine.
Primary pulmonary hypertension, regurgitant cardiac valvular disease, palpitation, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, headache, dry mouth, unpleasant taste, GI upset, constipation, urticaria, impotence, changes in libido, tolerance (discontinue when occurs); rare: psychotic episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Fastin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records