Re-evaluation of Fear Processing in Psychopathy: New Evidence and Application to Other Psychiatric DisordersAugust 30, 2016
This is the first meta-analysis to examine subjective emotion experience in psychopathy.
Assessment of comorbid personality disorder could be key to successful weight loss strategies.
Many clinicians are apprehensive about the risk associated with symptoms of BPD, such as self-harm and suicidal behavior.
Preemies may possess elevated levels of characteristics that put them at risk for peer victimization, including more anxiety and depression.
Patients are usually women; most have chronic, severe conditions with histories of suicide.
Superior to online supportive therapy for symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Transference-focused psychotherapy is associated with alterations in frontolimbic circuitry in borderline personality disorder.
Researchers found significant improvements in hair-pulling symptoms with both "decoupling" and progressive muscle relaxation.
By the end of the exposure and response prevention therapy treatment, more than half of the patients with OCD were considered excellent responders.
IED has comorbidities, including mood disorders, lifetime prevalence of anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and substance abuse.
Those in the negative spirituality group reported significantly worse pain as well as worse physical and mental health.
Homosexual and bisexual men had higher rates of eating disorders than straight men.
Functional MRI scans show those who have borderline personality disorder traits have less activity in areas of the brain involved in empathy.
In an experiment, researchers found that clinicians assumed behaviors that were not present in diagnosing a patient.
Extremist organizations attract vulnerable members by emphasizing victimization and sense of identity.
Morbidity and suicidality associated with borderline personality disorder rivals that of bipolar disorder, yet former is not as well researched.
Quick-to-anger gun owners also have elevated risk of personality disorders, alcohol abuse, anxiety and PTSD, the researchers said.
Many clinicians believe that BPD patients are often treatment resistant and overly demanding.
Boredom, frustration and impatience can promote skin-picking, nail-biting and hair-pulling in some people.
Study found 7.6% of bipolar disorder type I patients also met DSM criteria for OCD, while an additional 4% had subclinical OCD.
In higher doses, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) helped to curb binge eating.
Men who post a lot of selfies on social media more likely to be narcissistic and have psychopathic personality traits.
Social isolation, problematic relationships with peers, and low self-esteem common in people with both gambling problems and personality disorders.
Hoarding disorder, which impacts up to 5% of the population, can be treated with a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy and antidepressants.
People who had adverse childhood experiences did not have worse OCD symptoms than those without such experiences.
Finnish prisoners who were repeat offenders for violent crime shared a certain genotype in two genes.
Clinicians need to learn how to manage negative reactions and dysfunctional behavior in patients with personality disorders.
Deep-transcranial magnetic stimulation may be an effective, noninvasive therapy to treat cognitive deficits in schizophrenia patients.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- The Current State of Autism: From Etiology to Treatment
- Augmentation Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
- Long-Term Cariprazine Safe, Tolerable for Schizophrenia
- Why Do Antipsychotics Cause Weight Gain?
- Is Aspirin Use Associated With a Decreased Incidence of Depressive Symptoms?
- emPATH Units as a Solution for ED Psychiatric Patient Boarding
- Antidepressants for Poststroke Depression: Comparative Efficacy and Acceptability
- New Model Shows High Accuracy in Predicting Response to Lithium
- Frequent Cannabis Use Associated With Increased Likelihood of MDD
- Protecting the Brain: The Damaging Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder: Intranasal Ketamine Effective, Well-Tolerated
- When Patients Are Pathological Liars: Implications For for Psychiatrists
- PTSD and Fibromyalgia: Can Opioid Combination Therapy Improve QOL?
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Subsequent Suicidal Thoughts
- Cognitive Impairment in Adults With Depression Identified by THINC-it Screening Tool