Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline hyclate 20mg; tabs.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for PERIOSTAT:
As an adjunct to scaling and root planing to promote attachment level gain and to reduce pocket depth in patients with adult periodontitis.
Take on an empty stomach with adequate amount of fluid. 20mg twice daily (in AM and PM). May give up to 9 months.
Nursing mothers. Infants. Children.
History of or active oral candidiasis. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended.
Avoid concomitant penicillins, methoxyflurane. Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, urinary alkalinizers reduce absorption. Carbamazepine, barbiturates, phenytoin may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. Oral contraceptives may be less effective.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias; rare: hepatotoxicity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders