Generic Name and Formulations:
Formoterol (as fumarate) 20mcg/2mL; soln for inh.
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for PERFOROMIST:
Long-term maintenance treatment of COPD-associated bronchoconstriction.
20micrograms (1 vial) by nebulizer twice daily (AM & PM). Use standard jet nebulizer (eg, PARI-LC Plus [with face-mask or mouthpiece]) and air compressor (eg, Proneb Ultra compressor). Does not need to be diluted before nebulization. Do not mix with other drugs.
In patients with asthma without use of a long-term asthma control medication.
Increased risk of asthma-related death. Do not initiate in acutely deteriorating COPD. Not for the treatment of asthma. Not for relief of acute symptoms. Prescribe a short-acting, inhaled β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Not for use with other long-acting β2-agonists. Do not exceed recommended dose. Cardiovascular disease (esp. hypertension, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias). Convulsive disorders. Thyrotoxicosis. Hyperresponsiveness to sympathomimetics. Diabetes. Ketoacidosis. Hypokalemia. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with MAOIs, tricyclics, others that prolong QTc interval (may cause ventricular arrhythmias). Antagonized by β-blockers. K+-depleting diuretics, xanthines, steroids may potentiate hypokalemia. Sympathetic effects potentiated by additional adrenergics (caution).
Long-acting beta-2 agonist (LABA).
GI upset, nasopharyngitis, dry mouth, dizziness, insomnia; ECG changes or cardiovascular effects (eg, increased BP, tachycardia; consider discontinuing if occur); hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, metabolic acidosis; hypersensitivity reactions; rarely: paradoxical bronchospasm, increased risk of asthma-related death.
Single-use vials (2mL)—60
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder