Generic Name and Formulations:
Formoterol (as fumarate) 20mcg/2mL; soln for inh.
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for PERFOROMIST:
Long-term maintenance treatment of COPD-associated bronchoconstriction.
20micrograms (1 vial) by nebulizer twice daily (AM & PM). Use standard jet nebulizer (eg, PARI-LC Plus [with face-mask or mouthpiece]) and air compressor (eg, Proneb Ultra compressor). Does not need to be diluted before nebulization. Do not mix with other drugs.
In patients with asthma without use of a long-term asthma control medication.
LABA increase risk of asthma-related death. Do not initiate in acutely deteriorating COPD. Not for the treatment of asthma. Not for relief of acute symptoms. Prescribe a short-acting, inhaled β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Not for use with other long-acting β2-agonists. Do not exceed recommended dose. Cardiovascular disease (esp. hypertension, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias). Convulsive disorders. Thyrotoxicosis. Hyperresponsiveness to sympathomimetics. Diabetes. Ketoacidosis. Hypokalemia. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with MAOIs, tricyclics, others that prolong QTc interval (may cause ventricular arrhythmias). Antagonized by β-blockers. K+-depleting diuretics, xanthines, steroids may potentiate hypokalemia. Sympathetic effects potentiated by additional adrenergics (caution).
Long-acting beta-2 agonist (LABA).
GI upset, nasopharyngitis, dry mouth, dizziness, insomnia; ECG changes or cardiovascular effects (eg, increased BP, tachycardia; consider discontinuing if occur); hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, metabolic acidosis; hypersensitivity reactions; rarely: paradoxical bronchospasm, increased risk of asthma-related death.
Single-use vials (2mL)—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders