PEPCID SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 40mg/5mL; pwd for reconstitution; cherry-banana-mint flavor.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for PEPCID SUSPENSION:
Active duodenal ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcer. Active benign gastric ulcer. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, multiple endocrine adenomas). Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Esophagitis due to GERD.
Duodenal ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime or 20mg twice daily for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 20mg once daily at bedtime. Benign gastric ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime for up to 8 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: Initially 20mg every 6hrs; individualize. GERD symptoms: 20mg twice daily for up to 6 weeks. Esophagitis: 20–40mg twice daily for up to 12 wks (see full labeling).
Individualize; adjust based on response. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: Peptic ulcer: Initially 0.5mg/kg per day at bedtime or in 2 divided doses; max 40mg/day. GERD: Initially 1mg/kg per day divided in 2 doses; max 40mg twice daily.
Symptomatic response does not preclude gastric malignancy. Moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to ½ the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Elderly: use low doses. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant dasatinib, delavirdine mesylate, cefditoren, fosamprenavir: not recommended. May alter absorption of pH-dependent drugs (eg, atazanavir, erlotinib, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, nilotinib, rilpivirine). May potentiate CYP1A2 substrates (eg, tizanidine); monitor if use is needed. May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in renal impairment (moderate and severe).
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children
- Addressing the Uncertainties of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program for Medical School Graduates