PEPCID SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 40mg/5mL; pwd for reconstitution; cherry-banana-mint flavor.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for PEPCID SUSPENSION:
Active duodenal ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcer. Active benign gastric ulcer. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, multiple endocrine adenomas). Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Esophagitis due to GERD.
Duodenal ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime or 20mg twice daily for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 20mg once daily at bedtime. Benign gastric ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime for up to 8 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: Initially 20mg every 6hrs; individualize. GERD symptoms: 20mg twice daily for up to 6 weeks. Esophagitis: 20–40mg twice daily for up to 12 wks (see full labeling).
Individualize; adjust based on response. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: Peptic ulcer: Initially 0.5mg/kg per day at bedtime or in 2 divided doses; max 40mg/day. GERD: Initially 1mg/kg per day divided in 2 doses; max 40mg twice daily.
Moderate to severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to half the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in impaired renal function.
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder