Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentostatin 10mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for Pentostatin:
Active hairy cell leukemia.
Ensure adequate hydration. Give as IV bolus or infuse over 20–30 minutes after dilution. 4mg/m2 every other week. Reevaluate after 6 months; discontinue if complete or partial response not achieved; max duration of therapy 12 months. Withhold dose if ANC <200 cells/mm3; may resume when resolved.
Active infections; treat prior to initiating therapy. Withhold or discontinue therapy if severe rash or neurotoxicity develops. Renal impairment. Monitor and obtain CBCs, liver, and renal function before and during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fludarabine: not recommended. Potentiates vidarabine. Acute pulmonary toxicity and hypotension with carmustine, etoposide, and high dose cyclophosphamide (see literature).
GI upset, fever, rash, fatigue, leukopenia, pruritus, cough, myalgia, chills, headache, abdominal pain, anorexia, asthenia, stomatitis, rhinitis, dyspnea, anemia, pain, sweating, infections, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders