PENTAM 300 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for PENTAM 300:
Pneumonia due to Pneumocystis carinii.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by deep IM or IV inj. If administered by IV, must infused over 60–120 minutes. ≥4months: 4mg/kg once daily for 14–21 days. Therapy >21 days has been used; but may increase toxicity risk.
Hyper- or hypotension. Ventricular tachycardia. Hypo- or hyperglycemia. Hypocalcemia. Pancreatitis. Leukopenia. Thrombocytopenia. Anemia. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Monitor BP, BUN, serum creatinine, blood glucose, CBC and platelets, liver function (eg, serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, AST/ALT), serum calcium, ECG. Avoid extravasation. Have resuscitation equipment available. Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Inj site reactions, severe hypotension, hypoglycemia, diabetes, acute pancreatitis, cardiac arrhythmias, nephrotoxic events (eg, renal dysfunction, elevated serum creatinine, azotemia, renal failure), leukopenia, elevated liver functions tests, anorexia/nausea, rash, pruritus.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?