Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclopirox 8%; topical soln (nail lacquer).
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for PENLAC:
Mild to moderate onychomycosis of the fingernails and toenails (without lunula involvement) due to Trichophyton rubrum in immunocompetent patients, as part of a comprehensive management program (including professional removal of unattached, infected nails).
Apply thin layer evenly once daily over previous coat(s) to entire nail and surrounding 5mm of skin (preferably at bedtime or 8 hours before washing). If possible, apply to nail bed, hyponychium, and under surface of nail plate when it is free of the nail bed. Remove with alcohol once per week (file and trim nails while nail is free from drug). Repeat this regimen for up to 48 weeks. Improvement may take up to 6 months. Healthcare professional: Remove unattached infected nail as frequently as monthly, trim onycholytic nail, and file excess horny material.
Discontinue if sensitivity or chemical irritation occurs. Immunosuppressed or immunocompromised. HIV positive. Organ transplant recipients. Seizures. Severe plantar (moccasin) tinea pedis. Diabetes, diabetic neuropathy: consider risk of nail care before prescribing. Avoid eyes, mucous membranes. Product is flammable. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant systemic antifungals for onychomycosis: not recommended. Do not use nail polish or other nail cosmetics on treated nails.
Rash, nail disorders (e.g., shape change, irritation, ingrown toenail, discoloration), local reactions (e.g., burning sensation, erythema).
Nail lacquer—6.6mL (w. applicator)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy