Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine, aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; hepatitis B vaccine (recombinant), aluminum phosphate adsorbed; inactivated polio vaccine; susp for IM inj; preservative-free; contains traces of formaldehyde, yeast protein, neomycin, polymyxin B, polysorbate 80.
Indications for PEDIARIX:
Immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, and poliovirus (types 1, 2, and 3) in infants age 6 weeks up to 7yrs (before 7th birthday) born of HBsAg-negative mothers.
Each dose is 0.5mL IM in deltoid or anterolateral thigh. Give 1st dose preferably at 2 months of age (may give as early as 6 weeks of age); then give 2nd dose 6–8 weeks later; then give 3rd dose 6–8 weeks later (preferably 8 weeks between doses). Previously vaccinated with one or more doses of individual components: see literature. Not for use as booster dose.
Anaphylaxis associated with previous dose. Encephalopathy within 7 days after previous pertussis-containing vaccine. Progressive neurological disorders (eg, infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, progressive encephalopathy).
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Fever (≥105°F within 48hrs), persistent inconsolable crying (≥3hrs within 48hrs), shock (within 48hrs), or seizures (within 3 days) after previous DTaP or DTwP vaccine: see literature. Seizure risk (may give antipyretic). Bleeding disorders. Have epinephrine available. Latex allergy (syringes). Immunodeficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant vaccines: see literature. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
DTaP + HB + IPV.
Local reactions (pain, redness, swelling), irritability/fussiness, fever, crying, drowsiness, loss of appetite; rare: seizure, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled syringes—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders