Generic Name and Formulations:
Tranylcypromine (as sulfate) 10mg; tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for PARNATE:
30mg daily in divided doses. If no improvement after 2 wks, may increase in 10mg/day increments every 1–3 wks; usual max 60mg/day.
Not recommended: see literature.
See Interactions. Pheochromocytoma. Cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, or liver disease. Hypertension. Chronic headache. To avoid potentially severe or fatal interactions, allow sufficient drug-free interval (see literature) between tranylcypromine and sympathomimetics (eg, amphetamines, pseudoephedrine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, clomipramine), SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine) or SNRIs (eg, venlafaxine), maprotiline, mirtazapine, CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics), antihistamines, antihypertensives (eg, guanethidine), anesthetics, bupropion, buspirone, carbamazepine, cyclobenzaprine, dibenzazepines, diuretics, dextromethorphan, dopamine, other MAOIs (eg, phenelzine, selegiline, furazolidone, isocarboxazid), levodopa, methyldopa, methylphenidate, tryptophan, phenylalanine, tryptophan-, dopamine-, tyrosine-, or tyramine-containing foods, excess caffeine or chocolate. Meperidine within 3 weeks of tranylcypromine.
Hypotension. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Psychosis. Mania/hypomania. Epilepsy. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Discontinue if palpitations or headache occurs and 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor BP and observe patient frequently. May mask anginal pain or aggravate anxiety or agitation. Renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crises with sympathomimetics, levodopa, and high-tyramine foods (eg, cheese, salami, chocolate, wine, beer, pickled herring, chicken livers, yeast extract, yogurt, broad beans). Caution with antidiabetic agents, antiparkinson agents, disulfiram. Potentiates CNS depressants, antihypertensives. Psychosis with dextromethorphan. Circulatory collapse, coma, death with meperidine. Do not start within 5 wks of fluoxetine, or 2 wks of sertraline, paroxetine, bupropion or citalopram, or 1 wk of venlafaxine discontinuance.
Orthostatic hypotension, hypertensive crises, headache, CNS overstimulation, seizures, changes in blood sugar, drowsiness, dry mouth, GI disturbances, tachycardia, anorexia, impotence, rash, hepatitis, edema.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder