More specific biomarkers will be needed to differentiate between atypical parkinsonian disorders.
Research on monogenic disorders has made vital contributions to all aspects of medical care, including our understanding of pain pathophysiology.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
The study suggests that statins may serve a greater purpose beyond control of lipids and cardiovascular events.
Researchers saw a beneficial effect in tests examining frontal lobe function and improvement in memory.
Dopaminergic Control of Striatal Cholinergic Interneurons May Cause Antipsychotic-Associated ParkinsonismJuly 21, 2016
Research examines the underlying mechanisms for the disabling adverse effects associated with antipsychotic medications.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
If transmission of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia of any type, AD, or PD does occur, it is rare.
Declining smoking rates could be associated with higher incidence of parkinsonism and PD.
The drug is the first of its kind to address PD psychosis without having an ill effect on motor symptoms.
Declines in processing sleep and episodic memory were observed in those with low levels of activity.
The researchers observed between-group differences between real and sham acupuncture treatment.
Unclear whether the medications or the disease are the key factor; study only shows an association.
Research found an association, but no cause-and-effect relationship, between rosacea and Parkinson's.
Those with cognitive difficulties struggle to follow conversations or recall words.
Study reports on the availability of safety and efficacy data for over-the-counter supplements for improving brain health.
Of adults aged 45 years and older reporting recent check-up, only 25.2% reported SMCs.
However, results should be interpreted with attention to the study details, Mayo doc says.
Men with higher urate concentrations had a lower future risk of developing Parkinson's, suggesting that urate could have a protective factor.
Those who took rivastigmine in study were 45% less likely to have an accident.
Results from a recent multiple sclerosis trial with simvastatin indicate that it could be an effective treatment to slow progression of Parkinson's.
There was no difference in cognition between Parkinson's patients taking a high and lower level of anticholinergic medications.
Research has shown a confounding link between nicotine and reduced risk of Parkinson's disease.
Patients with hepatitis C were 2.5 times more likely to develop Parkinson's before adjustments.
In a mouse model of Parkinson's, LBT-3727 was able to protect dopamine-producing cells.
After performing brain autopsies, researchers found pesticide residue in 90% of the participants.
Based on visual responses of fruit flies, the ones with mutations toward Parkinson's had increase neuronal activity to stimulation.
Researchers identified two genes with potentially damaging genetic variants that could affect familial Parkinson's susceptibility.
Studies in mice, monkeys point to a compound that might lessen levodopa's debilitating effects, such as restless muscle movements.
The new criteria emphasizes that Parkinson's is more than a motor disorder, emphasizing the early stages of the disease.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records