Nuplazid, a non-dopaminergic, selective serotonin inverse agonist, targets 5-HT2A receptors that are thought to be involved in Parkinson disease psychosis.
Concerns over Nuplazid were initially voiced in a CNN article in early April which reported that the drug had been associated with over 700 deaths since its launch in March 2017.
More specific biomarkers will be needed to differentiate between atypical parkinsonian disorders.
Research on monogenic disorders has made vital contributions to all aspects of medical care, including our understanding of pain pathophysiology.
Levodopa pill can wear off, but a powdered version can help patients during off periods.
The study suggests that statins may serve a greater purpose beyond control of lipids and cardiovascular events.
Researchers saw a beneficial effect in tests examining frontal lobe function and improvement in memory.
Dopaminergic Control of Striatal Cholinergic Interneurons May Cause Antipsychotic-Associated Parkinsonism
Research examines the underlying mechanisms for the disabling adverse effects associated with antipsychotic medications.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
If transmission of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia of any type, AD, or PD does occur, it is rare.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Classification Models for Diagnosing Schizophrenia With MRI Neuroimaging
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Unhealthy Food Behaviors May Signal Eating Disorder in Teens
- As Immigration Policies Tighten, Physician Shortage Concerns Grow