Generic Name and Formulations:
Hemin 350mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion (7mg of hematin/mL after reconstitution); contains sodium carbonate 240mg, sorbitol 335mg; preservative-free.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PANHEMATIN:
Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria temporally related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women, after initial carbohydrate therapy is known or suspected to be inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Intended to prevent an attack from reaching the critical stage of neuronal degeneration. Not effective in repairing neuronal damage.
Consider carbohydrate loading (eg, 400g glucose/day for 1–2 days) before initiation. If improvement unsatisfactory, give 1–4mg/kg/day of hematin via IV infusion over at least 30mins for 3–14 days. In more severe cases, this dose may be repeated no earlier than every 12hrs. Max 6mg/kg of hematin per 24hrs.
<16yrs: not established.
Administer into large arm vein or a central venous catheter to avoid phlebitis. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent). Monitor iron and serum ferritin in multiple administrations. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (avoid in severe pre-eclampsia). Nursing mothers.
Avoid CYP-inducing drugs that increase the activity of δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase (eg, estrogens, barbituric acid derivatives, steroid metabolites). Avoid concomitant anticoagulants.
Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase inhibitor.
Headache, pyrexia, infusion site reactions, phlebitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder