Generic Name and Formulations:
Hemin 350mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion (7mg of hematin/mL after reconstitution); contains sodium carbonate 240mg, sorbitol 335mg; preservative-free.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PANHEMATIN:
Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria temporally related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women, after initial carbohydrate therapy is known or suspected to be inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Intended to prevent an attack from reaching the critical stage of neuronal degeneration. Not effective in repairing neuronal damage.
Consider carbohydrate loading (eg, 400g glucose/day for 1–2 days) before initiation. If improvement unsatisfactory, give 1–4mg/kg/day of hematin via IV infusion over at least 30mins for 3–14 days. In more severe cases, this dose may be repeated no earlier than every 12hrs. Max 6mg/kg of hematin per 24hrs.
<16yrs: not established.
Administer into large arm vein or a central venous catheter to avoid phlebitis. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent). Monitor iron and serum ferritin in multiple administrations. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (avoid in severe pre-eclampsia). Nursing mothers.
Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase inhibitor.
Avoid CYP-inducing drugs that increase the activity of δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase (eg, estrogens, barbituric acid derivatives, steroid metabolites). Avoid concomitant anticoagulants.
Headache, pyrexia, infusion site reactions, phlebitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age