Generic Name and Formulations:
Methscopolamine bromide 2.5mg; tabs; lactose-free.
Indications for PAMINE:
Adjunctive therapy in peptic ulcer.
Initially 2.5mg 30min before meals and 2.5–5mg at bedtime; may increase as tolerated. Severe symptoms: may start at 5mg 30min before meals and at bedtime.
Glaucoma. Obstructive uropathy (eg, bladder neck obstruction due to prostatic hypertrophy). GI obstruction (eg, pyloroduodenal stenosis). Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony in elderly or debilitated. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute hemorrhage. Severe ulcerative colitis. Toxic megacolon complicating ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis.
Ileostomy or colostomy. Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal disease. Ulcerative colitis. Hyperthyroidism. Coronary heart disease. CHF. Tachyrhythmia. Tachycardia. Hypertension. Prostatic hypertrophy. Large doses may suppress intestinal motility or aggravate toxic megacolon. Follow-up with upper GI contrast radiology or endoscopy during treatment. Obtain stool tests, hemoglobin, and hematocrit to rule out ulcer bleeding. High environmental temperature. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive anticholinergic effects with concomitant antipsychotics, tricyclic antidepressants, and other anticholinergic drugs. Concomitant antacids may interfere with absorption.
Tachycardia, palpitation, anaphylaxis, headache, nervousness, drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, pupil dilation, loss of taste, urinary hesitancy/retention, nausea, vomiting, constipation, decreased sweating, urticaria, xerostomia, weakness, insomnia, impotence, lactation suppression.
Tabs—100; Forte—60 (5x12 blisters)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age