Generic Name and Formulations:
Nortriptyline HCl 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg; caps.
Indications for PAMELOR:
Initially 25mg 3–4 times daily; max 150mg/day. Elderly and adolescents: 30–50mg/day in single or divided doses.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue. Acute post-MI.
Suicidality and antidepressant drugs.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening and unusual changes. Monitor for emergence of serotonin syndrome; discontinue if occurs. Mania/hypomania. Bipolar disorder. Psychosis. ECT. Cardiovascular disease. Angle-closure glaucoma. Urinary retention. Epilepsy. Hyperthyroidism. Diabetes. Liver disorders. Monitor plasma levels if dose >100mg/day. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with other serotonergic drugs (eg, triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, St. John's Wort) or with drugs that impair serotonin metabolism (eg, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue). Potentiates alcohol, sympathomimetics. CNS stimulation with reserpine. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors; monitor plasma levels with quinidine, cimetidine, SSRIs, phenothiazines, type 1C antiarrhythmics (eg, propafenone, flecainide). Antagonized by barbiturates, carbamazepine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics. Blocks guanethidine.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, CNS overstimulation, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal symptoms, hypo- or hypertension, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, jaundice.
Caps—30; Soln—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses