Oxybutynin Chloride Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxybutynin Chloride Tablets:
Symptoms of bladder instability associated with voiding in patients with uninhibited neurogenic or reflex neurogenic bladder (eg, urinary urgency, frequency, leakage, urge incontinence, dysuria).
5mg 2–3 times a day; max 20mg/day.
<5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Uncontrolled glaucoma. GI obstruction. Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony in elderly or debilitated. Severe colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Megacolon. Toxic megacolon in ulcerative colitis. Obstructive uropathies. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute hemorrhage.
Activities requiring mental alertness. Diarrhea. Hepatic or renal disease. Autonomic neuropathy. Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hiatal hernia. GI or GU obstruction. Ulcerative colitis. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates drowsiness with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors. Decreases GI motility, possibly affecting absorption of other drugs.
Dry mouth, constipation, somnolence, headache, diarrhea, nausea, tachycardia, blurred vision, dry eyes, other anticholinergic effects.
Formerly known under the brand name Ditropan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders