Oxybutynin Chloride Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxybutynin Chloride Tablets:
Symptoms of bladder instability associated with voiding in patients with uninhibited neurogenic or reflex neurogenic bladder (eg, urinary urgency, frequency, leakage, urge incontinence, dysuria).
5mg 2–3 times a day; max 20mg/day.
<5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Uncontrolled glaucoma. GI obstruction. Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony in elderly or debilitated. Severe colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Megacolon. Toxic megacolon in ulcerative colitis. Obstructive uropathies. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute hemorrhage.
Activities requiring mental alertness. Diarrhea. Hepatic or renal disease. Autonomic neuropathy. Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hiatal hernia. GI or GU obstruction. Ulcerative colitis. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates drowsiness with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors. Decreases GI motility, possibly affecting absorption of other drugs.
Dry mouth, constipation, somnolence, headache, diarrhea, nausea, tachycardia, blurred vision, dry eyes, other anticholinergic effects.
Formerly known under the brand name Ditropan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children