Oxybutynin Chloride Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 5mg/5mL.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxybutynin Chloride Syrup:
Symptoms of bladder instability associated with voiding in patients with uninhibited neurogenic or reflex neurogenic bladder (eg, urinary urgency, frequency, leakage, urge incontinence, dysuria).
5mg 2–3 times a day; max 20mg/day.
<5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Uncontrolled glaucoma. GI obstruction. Paralytic ileus. Intestinal atony in elderly or debilitated. Severe colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Megacolon. Toxic megacolon in ulcerative colitis. Obstructive uropathies. Unstable cardiovascular status in acute hemorrhage.
Activities requiring mental alertness. Diarrhea. Hepatic or renal disease. Autonomic neuropathy. Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hiatal hernia. GI or GU obstruction. Ulcerative colitis. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates drowsiness with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors. Decreases GI motility, possibly affecting absorption of other drugs.
Dry mouth, constipation, somnolence, headache, diarrhea, nausea, tachycardia, blurred vision, dry eyes, other anticholinergic effects.
Formerly known under the brand name Ditropan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age