Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxandrolone 2.5mg+, 10mg; tabs (+scored).
Indications for OXANDRIN:
As an adjunct to promote weight gain after extensive surgery, chronic infections, severe trauma, and without definite cause, to offset protein catabolism associated with prolonged corticosteroid administration, and for relief of osteoporotic bone pain.
Individualize. 2.5–20mg daily given in 2–4 divided doses. Treat for 2–4 weeks; may repeat intermittently as needed. Elderly: 5mg twice daily.
≤0.1mg/kg/day; may repeat intermittently as needed.
Breast (women with hypercalcemia, men) or prostate carcinoma. Nephrosis. Hypercalemia. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Risk of peliosis hepatis, liver cell tumors, blood lipid changes associated with atherosclerosis. Discontinue if cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice, abnormal liver function tests, or hypercalcemia occurs. Cardiovascular disease. COPD. Edematous conditions. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, serum lipids, Hgb/Hct, and bone age (children) periodically. Monitor for signs of virilization in women; discontinue if mild virilism occurs to prevent irreversible condition. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate warfarin (monitor INR/PT), oral hypoglycemics. Increased risk of edema with ACTH, corticosteroids. May suppress clotting factors II, V, VII and X. May decrease thyroxine-binding globulin and radioactive iodine uptake.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in children, edema, dyslipidemia, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, menstrual irregularities, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, excitation, depression, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, decreased glucose tolerance.
Tabs 2.5mg—100; 10mg—60
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder