Oxacillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxacillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution, or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 2.5mEq/g oxacillin sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxacillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Mild-to-moderate infections: 250–500mg IM or IV every 4–6 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Premature and neonates: 25mg/kg/day IM or IV. Infants and children <40kg: Mild-to-moderate infections: 50mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6 hours; severe infections: 100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Bactocill.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder