Oxacillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxacillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution, or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 2.5mEq/g oxacillin sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxacillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Mild-to-moderate infections: 250–500mg IM or IV every 4–6 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Premature and neonates: 25mg/kg/day IM or IV. Infants and children <40kg: Mild-to-moderate infections: 50mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6 hours; severe infections: 100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Bactocill.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses